Welcome!

Welcome!

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Zucchini, Yellow Pepper, & Feta Quinoa

Happy Saturday!
Today I'm posting my first recipe and I hope you'll try it. Since I want 2016 to be full of good changes, exercise, and healthy eating habits, I decided to make something new and delicious. Quinoa (keen-wah) is a fantastic "super food" that is very versatile. I made my first pot of it today (good to know: 1 cup dry quinoa=3 cups cooked quinoa) and I was smitten with just the plain boiled stuff. It has a flavor and texture a bit like rice but doesn't stick to the pot and isn't all starchy. And it's SO YUMMY!





Zucchini, Yellow Pepper, & Feta Quinoa

Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa

1/2 a small-ish zucchini

1/2 yellow bell pepper

Salt+Pepper

Coconut Oil (or you can use olive oil)

Feta cheese for topping

1. Prepare quinoa according to the instructions on the package. If you don't have instructions though, it's really easy to look up online. Just be sure to rinse it before you cook!

2. While the quinoa is cooking, chop up the zucchini lengthwise, and then those logs into halves so that you have little triangles when you chop it into tinier pieces.

3. Chop the yellow bell pepper into little chunks, and put it with the zucchini into a small pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil and some salt and pepper. Cook until the veggies are beginning to brown, approximately 7 minutes while stirring.

4. After the veg is done, put 1/2 the quinoa into a bowl and mix with veggies. To serve in individual bowls, crumble some feta on top to your heart's desire and fall in love with quinoa at first bite.

The flavors in this are all really bright and yummy; the feta slightly melts and becomes amazing. I made this recipe by looking around in the fridge and saw what vegetables I had and used those, but you could substitute with two or three or eleven of what you have, whatever's your favorite! This would make a great side dish or I just had it for lunch all on it's own, it's surprisingly filling.

~Chris x

2 comments:

  1. Lol, after months of not posting anything on my blog, I finally posted a recipe. That mentioned that no one ever has any quinoa in their house. ;) Guess I was wrong. Can you get it at Meijers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I noticed you did one too! This is my first time having it around, so it's still pretty new to me. I saw it at Meijers but it was $8.99-$10 for a small-ish bag, but I got mine at Aldi for $4.99.

      Delete